Friday, July 19, 2013

Thoughts on Celebrating the 4th of July

I am frequently away from my family and recently traveled by auto to my home in Washington State over the 4th of July. During the long car ride I had an opportunity to reflect on all the previous 4th of July holidays in my life and as a child and then a young adult. Early on the holiday was about spending time with family and friends with huge outdoor BBQ’s and then of course the excitement of the fireworks show at night. In my memories the day was always sunny and hot, my mom would make us kids clean up and wear clean clothes, she would cook up a dish to pass and several pies and off we would go with my dad to the party! There would be other kids to play with, games to play, it was wonderful.

 
It wasn’t until later in life when I began to realize that those idyllic parties that I enjoyed as a child were bought and paid for by so many who sacrificed for our nation. The price of freedom is great and my experience and happy memories owes a debt to those who have served our nation and continue to serve today.


Now that I am older, the holiday is still special for the time that I can spend with my family but I have a greater appreciation for all the freedoms that I enjoy in this great country of ours. My wife Lisa is a wonderful cook, just like my mom we had loads of food, family to spend time with and of course the fireworks on the beach of the Pacific Ocean. It was a wonderful day and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to celebrate the 4th of July.

1 comment:

  1. So luck to come across your excellent blog. Your blog brings me a great deal of fun.. Good luck with the site.
    workers compensation audit

    ReplyDelete